Global App Configuration Service
The Global App Configuration cloud service provides solutions to problems faced by admin and user while using the Citrix Workspace app. The following is the list of solutions that the Global App Configuration cloud service provides:
|For an admin
|There are many ways to configure the end-user settings for Citrix Workspace app.
|Centralized service - The Global App Configuration service provides a centralized setup for IT admins to easily configure Citrix Workspace app settings on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, HTML5, Chrome OS platforms.
|There are different ways to configure settings on different platforms (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, HTML5, Chrome OS).
|Easy configuration of Citrix Workspace app settings - Each platform has different settings such as, Group policies, Registry, Default.ica, SF settings, and config files and there are many ways to configure these settings. The Global App Configuration service ensures that you push the settings to end-users from one interface without navigating to each platform.
|No easy way to configure settings for Bring Your Own Device (BYOD).
|Manage devices - Both IT managed devices and Bring Your Own Devices (BYOD) are easily managed and controlled through the Global App Configuration service.
|For a user
|The user must remember the URL
|Easy access to stores - The Global App Configuration service provides email-based discovery so that the users can easily access their stores without remembering the store URLs.
|The user must manually configure admin-specified settings
|Pre-configured store - Pre-configured store settings allow the users to readily use their stores without making any manual configuration to the settings.
What is a ‘store’ in the Global App Configuration Service?
A ‘store’ aggregates available applications and desktops for a user into a single place. A user can have many stores and switch across stores as needed. An admin delivers the store URL that has pre-configured settings. You can access these stores through the Citrix Workspace app.
An admin can add the following type of stores to the Workspace app:
- Workspace (Service URL)
- StoreFront URL - To know more about stores, see Citrix StoreFront.
- Custom web store (allowed WebStore URL): This option is available only for the Citrix Workspace Mac and Windows platform. See Citrix Workspace app for Windows and Citrix Workspace app for Mac.
The following table displays the store type that supports email discovery and settings configuration in the Global Apps Configuration service.
|Workspace Service URL
|Custom web store (allowed webstore URL)
About the Global App Configuration Service APIs in Citrix Workspace app
The Global App Configuration Service REST APIs are cloud API. An admin uses these APIs to configure the settings for Citrix Workspace app for iOS, Android, HTML5, Mac, and Windows platforms. Through these APIs, an admin delivers workspace service URLs, StoreFront URLs, custom web store URLs and manages Workspace app settings. Settings such as audio settings, automatic keyboard, external display and so on, see the list of supported settings on each platform. The Global App Configuration Service delivers settings to Workspace app clients that are already configured to use an on-premises store or cloud store.
You must have a Citrix Cloud account or any cloud entitlement to use the service APIs. For more information, see the prerequisites on the Getting Started page.
To know more about the Citrix Workspace app and supported platforms, see About Citrix Workspace app.
The following table lists the minimum version of Citrix Workspace app across platform that supports Global App Configuration Service.
|Citrix Workspace app platform
|Minimum version supported
|Current Release - 2106, LTSR - 2203.1
The Global App Configuration service provides the following REST APIs:
- Discovery Records APIs - Use these APIs to create, read, update, and delete Citrix Workspace app configurations related to email-based discovery of URLs.
- Setting Records APIs - Use these APIs to configure settings for the Citrix Workspace app.
An administrator can use Global App Configuration Service REST APIs to streamline their tasks.
An admin uses Discovery Records APIs and Setting Records APIs to:
- perform operations related to the email-based discovery of URLs
- configure Workspace service URLs, StoreFront URLs, and custom web store URLs that end users can access
- configure and control settings for the Citrix Workspace application
- An administrator configures discovery or settings for Workspace app via the Global Apps Configuration Service APIs. The configuration is per store URL and applies to the Workspace app instance with the store URL added.
- Citrix Workspace app fetches and updates the latest settings from the Global App Configuration Service roughly every 6 hours.
Global App Configuration Service settings are available over the internet. Users with access to the setting endpoint URL can download these settings. Hence, it is recommended to avoid any setting that might disclose sensitive information. Support to make the sensitive settings securely available over an authenticated endpoint is planned for future release.